Thursday 7 May 2020

Rhymes, Rhymes, All the Time

Hi Everyone,

Today we are looking at rhymes and how they help children with story reading. Rhymes are a great way for children to hear sounds and patterns in stories, poems and writing. They also help children make predicts in the text and critically think of comparing sounds and text.

Today the children and I discovered an awesome series of rhymes based on characters from Julia Donaldson, like The Gruffalo, and Room on the Broom. These rhymes have been adapted to the Covid-19 message of staying safe at home, washing your hands and only buying what you need from the supermarket:













Since Sunday (10th of May) is Mother's Day we decided to incorporate today'd writing Rhyme Task with making a mother's day card. 

Children can use the familiar - Roses are red, violets are blue poem, or create their own rhyme about their mother for their card. For example: 

My mother helps me make my bed, 
And often kisses my forehead

Or 

My mother is the best cook, 
And loves to read her favourite book!

Here are some links from the Twinkl Home Learning Hub to help you with ideas for cards, coupons and crafts: 











Whatever you end up doing today, please make sure you send it to me (Mrs Futcher) via email, so I can show case it on our blog. I love seeing all the wonderful creations you imagine and make at home. 

Tomorrow - Friday the 8th of May 2020, is our Dragon Dress Up Day, where we will be showing off our masks, posters and models from our Week 4 Big Book - Dragons Dragons Dragons .
I will also be announcing this weeks winners of the online certificates and they will feature on their own blog post. I hope to see you all there. 

Have a great day, be safe in your bubble and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance. 

Aroha nui to you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment